Everything we know about the filming of Alec Baldwin’s film set
The incident occurred amid reported safety concerns on the set. Sources familiar with the situation told NBC News that several crew members left the set just hours before filming for these reasons. NBC News also quoted its sources as saying that the gun that killed Hutchins had misfired prior to the fatal shooting.
The Los Angeles Times, citing its own sources, previously reported that there had been two misfires of a prop weapon days before the shooting and that union cameramen and their assistants left their jobs six hours before the fatal incident in protest of working conditions.
The production company Rust Movie Productions, LLC has not commented on the alleged loss of work. In a statement to E! News, the group said there were “no official complaints about the safety of weapons or props on set”. However, the company said it would “conduct an internal review of our procedures while production is closed”.
“The safety of our cast and crew is a top priority for Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company,” the statement said. “We will continue to work with the Santa Fe authorities on their investigation and provide psychological services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.”
According to NBC News, investigators are attempting to interview three workers charged with ensuring that Baldwin’s gun was loaded with blanks.
In addition, the point of sale received a Thursday production call sheet listing the three people as “Property Master, Property Key Assistant / Gunsmith, and Property Assistant”. Tobey Bayes, Sales representative for Hollywood property masters union IATSE Local 44, told the point of sale that the three people listed were not members of the union.