Recipe of the day: tropical fruit smoothie
Spring means warmer weather, flowers blooming, outdoor dining, and cool drinks – especially smoothies. While you can certainly just toss a few things in a blender and call it a day, a good smoothie recipe is not to be sneezed at. And this customizable tropical fruit smoothie is definitely one to have in your beverage arsenal. It’s like the little black dress made from smoothies.
Frozen fruit recipes: smoothies, pops, and more desserts
The banana and coconut cream base makes this dairy-free smoothie creamy and creates the first layer of tropical flavor. If you don’t have that hand, you can also substitute coconut cream or milk or vegan milk substitute. (This is an easy, plant-based recipe if you dunk your toe in the vegan kingdom.)
The tropical heart and soul of the recipe come from the fruits. Fresh or frozen pineapple, mango and passion fruit are a spectacular combination. But you can also double the fruit or swap in undiluted orange juice concentrate if you can’t find one of these ingredients. A splash of lime juice combines all tropical flavors.
If you want a post-workout smoothie, add a scoop or two of protein powder. Alternatively, if you want to feel like you’re on vacation, optionally throw a paper umbrella. And when you have your blender out, conjure up more of these fun and fruity smoothie recipes.
Recipe by JeanMarie Brownson, originally published in A Beachy, Spring Break Inspired Meal
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen pineapple diced
- 1 large ripe mango, pitted, peeled, roughly chopped (1 1/2 cups frozen, diced)
- 2 cups of ice cubes
- ½ cup coconut cream (or ¼ cup coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup of gold rum, optional
- 1/4 cup seedless fresh or frozen passion fruit puree (or undiluted orange juice concentrate)
- 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- Several drops of pure vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit skewers for garnish
- Fresh sprigs of mint for garnish
Step 1: Put everything except garnishes in a large blender (or mix halfway each). Process until smooth and frothy.
Step 2: Serve in chilled glasses. Garnish with fruit skewers and fresh sprigs of mint.